This beautiful but tragic tale took on a life of its own and became the stuff legends are made of – the lead character is a petite woman so shy and unsure of her talent that she would never realize the degree of her gift during her lifetime. Then at the age of 33, she tragically died of malignant melanoma.
As with all great legends, however, what seemed to be the end was only the beginning.
Five years after she died, the shy singer from Bowie had become a star. Overnight, her album “Songbird” shot to No 1 on the charts in the United Kingdom. Within weeks it reached Platinum status. A remarkable story told by a remarkable performer.
Presented by: Wela Kapela Productions
Starring: Kerry Hiles
Written by: Amanda Bothma and Kerry Hiles
Directed by: Kerry Hiles
Photographed by: Allen Eason
ABOUT THE ARTISTS
Kerry Hiles is an actress, singer and bass player, based in East London. She travels nationally and internationally for engagements that include solo and band performances as a vocalist and/or bass player.
Highlights of her musical career include:
• Hotel residencies with cover bands in the Middle East
• Royal command performances as a bass player and singer in the Seychelles
• A full season as a musician, singer and cabaret artist onboard the cruise ship, The Symphony
• 4 years with the Barnyard Theatre group as a bass player and singer
• And as a singer with a vocal ensemble at Nelson Mandela’s 80th birthday.
• A STAR IS BORN – rise and fall of Judy Garland received a STANDARD BANK OVATION AWARD 2019 as well as on the vFringe in 2020.
Amanda Bothma received her Bachelors degree in Drama and Acting from the University of the Free State. She is an alumna of the Eugene O’Neill National Theater Institute and attended the National Puppet Conference in 2018 and 2020 in Connecticut, USA. Amanda trained in the Chekov method under Mara Radulović, co-founder of the Michael Chekhov Actors Studio Boston. Over the past 30 years she has written, directed and produced many dramas, pantomimes, musicals and cabarets.