In 2017, the Main programme of the National Arts Festival (29 June to 9 July 2017) will focus on the relationship between art and disruption: art as a disruptor of mainstream ways of thinking, and also art in response to disruptions of the status quo.
We are looking for compelling, innovative and high-quality performances, exhibitions and cross-disciplinary works that will serve as catalysts for debate and transformation. Consideration will be given to proposals that are inspired by a reaction to borders of any and all kinds, proposals that engage with the #MustFall movements and/or proposals that wrestle with the past in order to understand the present.
The National Arts Festival is committed to growing a discerning audience who value the role that the arts can play as a catalyst for audiences to engage with broader societal issues.
The Festival’s annual programme promotes and celebrates diverse works drawn from the spectrum of the arts and ranging from classical to contemporary.
Proposals will be reviewed by a Genre Sub-committee, headed by Genre Curator in association with the Executive Producer. Note that proposals for any work that has been presented at the National Arts Festival (including the Fringe) in the past five years will not be considered.
How to submit
- Artists and managements intending to submit proposals must give consideration to the guidelines as detailed in the Call for Proposals.
- International producers are advised to consult the Executive Producer via the Festival Office email@example.com or +27 (0) 46 603 1103 prior to submitting proposals. Technical specifications for the Festival’s various performance and exhibitions venues is available on the Festival’s website (check out the Artist Zone).
- Enquires and completed proposals should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for submissions is 2 September 2016.
- Proposals may also be sent by mail to one of the following addresses:
- National Arts Festival, PO Box 304, Grahamstown, 6140
- National Arts Festival, Monument Building, Fort Selwyn Drive, Grahamstown, 6140
- Winners of the Standard Bank Ovation Awards 2016 will receive written invitations to submit proposals for the 2017 Arena programme.
The Fringe in 2017
Applications to be part of the Fringe will be available in October and registration will close in January 2017. Forms and information booklets will be available on the website.