Join National Arts Festival Technical Director Nicci Spalding as she hosts a think tank on how to go about creating work for online platforms. This webinar offers practical tips on a variety of processes, including smart phone videoing, audio recordings, filming and more.
The panellists for this webinar are:
Francois Knoetze is a performance artist, sculptor and video artist. He is a co-founder of the Lo-Def Film Factory, an experimental community cinema collective.
Amy Louise Wilson is a performer, playwright and co-founder of the Lo-Def Film Factory, an experimental community cinema collective.
Slindile Mthembu is a playwright, director, researcher and co-founder of Mabu Art Foundation.
Elijah Madiba is a musician and sound engineer at the International Library of African Music, Rhodes University.
Bronwyn Lace is a visual artist and is co-director for the foundation for The Centre for the Less Good Idea.
Alette Schoon teaches documentary filmmaking and Internet Studies at the School of Journalism and Media Studies at Rhodes University.
Artists interested in participating in vFringe in 2020 can find information in the Artist Zone. A recording will be made available after the webinar.
- If you missed Part I, which looked at the creative and mental shifts and processes of creating work for online platforms, you can find a recording here.
- If you missed Part II, which focused on participating in the Virtual Fringe in 2020, you can find a recording here.
- Marketing Your Digital Work – Friday 29 May at 2pm. Register here
Top tips and resources
Alette Schoon sent through the following resources, ideas and links that artists may find useful:
- Tim Green’s film produced in lockdown with no professional crew or gear. This is the trailer
- WhatsApp theatre: Uk’shona Kwelanga – the world’s first drama series told entirely through WhatsApp
- Good cheapish video editor if you have great wifi but basic PC: wevideo.com
- Good free-for-30 days video editor for no wifi and basic PC or laptop: Power Director
- Great free video editor if you have great fast PC: Da Vinci Resolve
- Basic DSLR camera for video for about R7000: Canon EOS 200D
- Great camera phone: Huawei P30 Pro about R6500
- Good quality microphone for smartphone: Rode SmartLav+ Lavalier Microphone for Smartphones
- Smartphone video editing apps: Vlogit, WeVideo, Power Director
Contact the Centre for the Less Good Idea:
- Find links to all previous webinars and information on upcoming webinars in the Artist Zone here.